2 Wellesley Place

In 1899 Rupert and Frances Simpson commissioned architect Charles Gibson to design this Richardsonian Romanesque style house at 2 Wellesley Place in Toronto. Having recently inherited the Toronto Knitting and Yarn Factory, they built what one historian has dubbed “The best interior in the city” consisting of elaborately carved wood, stained glass windows and ornate plaster ceilings, as well as many other beautifully wrought details. At one stage the building housed a nunnery. At a later date it was part of the Princess Margaret Hospital. The building fell into disuse for a time but eventually it was rescued by a tenant who restored much of the interior using funds raised through renting it out as a film location. At that period The Rolling Stones stayed there when they were in Toronto.

SIZE:

8″ X 11″

MEDIUM:

watercolour

GICLÉE:

$250

Pin It on Pinterest