Booth Four-plexes, 1913

The Booth Four-plexes are two of the historic buildings on the south side of Queen Street East between Knox Avenue and Laing Street that will be demolished to make way for an eight storey condominium complex. The building to the east was constructed in 1912 and the building to the west was finished by 1913.

William Booth (1835-1928), originally from Yorkshire, England was a busy Yorkville builder and a brick manufacturer. He was a shareholder, director and vice-president of the Davenport Street Railway, and an ice dealer. He served on the Yorkville Town council in the 1870s. He was vice-president, then president of the Ontario Industrial Loan and Investment Company who built the first shopping mall in Toronto, The Toronto Arcade at Queen and Victoria Streets, built in 1883 and demolished in 1955. Ontario Industrial Loan and Investment Company’s offices were located there. William Booth also built the renowned Yorkville Fire Hall in 1876. His sons, William and Albert, also builders, were responsible for the Queen Street East Four-plexes.

The Booth Four-plex buildings at 1333-1339 Queen Street East are an early example of Toronto purpose built multi-unit housing and a rare example of the architectural form in Leslieville.

 

SIZE:

11.5″ X 17.5″

MEDIUM:

watercolour

ORIGINAL

$1800

GICLÉE:

$330