Crest, Hampstead Town Hall

Hampstead Town Hall began life as the Vestry Hall of Hampstead Parish. It was built in 1878 with money raised by public subscription by the people of Hampstead. In 1910, after the re-organisation of local government, it was officially renamed the Town Hall. After Hampstead lost its borough status the building eventually fell into disuse and was closed in 1994, causing local outrage. A working party was formed to co-ordinate the campaign to save the Hall and find a new use for it. Hampstead Town Hall is open to the local community and the public at large as well as for the activities of the Interchange Trust, which provides a range of programmes to make a positive difference to disadvantaged young people through the performing arts. In 1996 Laura created four carbon pencil drawings of elements of the building and donated them to the campaign to save the Hall, where they hang in perpetuity.

The Friends of Hampstead Town Hall patrons are:

  • Sir Anthony Caro
  • Stephen Kovacevich
  • Dr. Peter Woodford
  • Princess Helena Moutafian MBE
  • Michael Palin
  • Lady Mary Stirling
  • Sir Michael Palliser.

The crest is located inside the main entrance over the stairs.

MEDIUM:

carbon pencil drawing